If you are looking for a day trip or a great weekend trip, consider visiting some of Texas’ best kept secrets. A weekend trip – or even a week-long vacation to visit more than one of the “secret” sites – is a perfect way to celebrate the new car or truck you just bought at Classic Chevrolet.
If you head out to Big Bend National Park or the Davis Mountains, be sure to stop by Marfa’s Mystery Lights. The lights are small-town Marfa’s claim to fame and show up between Marfa and Paisano Pass on clear nights. To see the lights, face toward the Chinati Mountains. The first record of these lights was in 1883. Sometimes the lights look like they are fusing and splitting, sometimes they move and sometimes they are colored. To this day, no one has figured out what the lights are from.
Glen Rose features the Dinosaur Valley State Park. While you can’t dig up your own dinosaur bones, you can see dinosaur footprints and other dinosaur-related things. The park is located on the Paluxy River and you can also see mudstones, limestones and sandstones that were deposited in that location about 113 million years ago. The area used to be a sea.
If you like treasure hunts, visit Mason County to hunt for natural topaz. The stone, which is Texas’ state gem, is commonly found in ravines and streambeds, but only in Mason County. There is no commercial mining in the area, but several ranches in the area will set you up for topaz hunting. The ranches are usually closed during deer season, so if you don’t make it out there before then, you’ll have to wait until deer season is over.
If you prefer hiking, stop by Colorado Bend State Park in Hill Country to hike to Gorman Falls. The hike is about 1.5 miles of rougher terrain, but the falls – an oasis in the middle of Texas – is worth the climb.
If you haven’t purchased or leased a new vehicle yet, but want to take some of these trips, be sure to stop by Classic Chevy to have your vehicle checked before you head out, especially if you take some of the longer trips. Ask our service manager about any service specials that we might be running.
Image by Tnkntx via Flickr Creative Commons
If you are considering the new Camaro Z28 but are just not sure if it’s going to stack up to its promises, stop by Classic Chevy for a test drive – you will find out as soon as you hit the gas just how crazy Chevy went with this one.
The heavier a vehicle, the more horsepower it takes to reach that top end. Chevrolet decided to leave some stuff out to decrease its weight so it could make the most of the 505 horses the power plant sends to the wheels. You’ll find that there’s no carpet or sound deadening in the trunk. There’s only one speaker unless you choose to upgrade – at no cost – to six speakers. The foam in the seats is lighter. Even the rear glass is thinner. By getting rid of some things here and there, Chevy managed to drop about 300 pounds from the Z28. In drag racing terms, that’s about 3/10 of a second.
The engine is a 7.0-liter V-8 that is put together by hand. In addition to the 505 horsepower, it puts out 481 pound-feet of torque. On the interior, you’ll be taken back in time with the Camaro’s retro deep-set gauges. Chevrolet used suede-like microfiber on the Recaro sport seats. The Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual transmission works on short throws and is precise, making quick work of changing gears.
The 19-inch wheels are an inch smaller than the typical wheels you find on Camaro models, but that gives the Z28 better handling since the center of gravity is about 3cm lower than other models. The Pirelli P-Zero Trofeo tires are “summer rated,” and really stick to the pavement. When all is said and done, the Z28 pulls 1.08 Gs in corners. Since you have to have a way to stop at that speed, Chevy gave the Z28 Brembo carbon-ceramic brakes. This gives the driver 1.5 Gs in deceleration.
The Performance Traction Management System allows you to pick from five different and adjustable driving modes: Mode 1 keeps the active handling on, but as you progress through to Mode 5, the electronic systems are shut off, giving the engine even more power. Mode 4 is Sport Active Handling Off; Mode 5 is Active Handling Off.
To learn more about the Z28 and to test drive it and see for yourself just how crazy Chevy got, stop by Classic Chevrolet today.
If you drive a Tahoe, Suburban, C10, Impala, Volt, Camaro, or a Corvette, you’re in good company. Many celebrities drive Chevys – some new Chevys and some old Chevys. If you don’t drive a Chevy yet, stop by Classic Chevrolet to test drive one of the models on the lot.
- Cuba Gooding, Jr., Kevin Hart, and Rob Dyrdek drive Chevy Suburbans. While you can’t totally black out a Suburban like the celebs – most states have restrictions on tinted windows – you can definitely get a black Suburban and tint the windows as much as the law allows.
- Joel Madden drives a C10. You might have a hard time finding one of these left; and if you can’t, you might settle for the Silverado.
- Tyga and Kobe Bryant drive older Impalas. You can definitely find some older Impala models out there, but they’re better left for special occasions. Drive a new Impala for commuting and save the classic for weekend road trips, especially if you find one with numbers matching and low mileage.
- Cindy Crawford and Bubba Watson drive Corvettes. New, old, it doesn’t matter. Corvettes were and still are bad to the bone.
- Travis Barker drives a K5 Blazer. Here’s another one you might have a hard time finding. You might have to settle for the Tahoe, but that’s okay, because celebrities drive Tahoe models, too. Speaking of which…
- Josh Duhamel drives a Tahoe.
- Nicky Diamonds drives an SS Chevelle and an SS El Camino. You might have a hard time finding these in “restorable” condition, but you can definitely put out a pretty penny on one that someone has restored. Or you can simply head over to Classic Chevy and pick up one of the new SS models or an Impala – that is, if you are looking for a Chevelle.
- Dale Earnhardt, Jr., drives – what else? – An older Chevy Camaro. A classic, just like the Corvette. It doesn’t matter if you choose old or new, your Camaro will get some appreciative looks.
- Matt Farah drives a Volt. If going green is important to you, then you are in good company. Pick up a Volt like Matt Farah and you’ll save a ton on fuel costs.
To test drive any of these models or any other model Chevrolet, stop by Classic Chevy or visit our website today.
Even though the Chevrolet Spark, available at Classic Chevy, has only been out for a year, Chevrolet is already coming out with an updated version. This major update gives the Spark a brand new battery pack. The battery pack for the 2015 model year is being made at GM’s Brownstown, Michigan plant.
In a late May 2014 announcement, General Motors announced that they would be making the new battery packs “in house,” and that they would be assembled in the auto manufacturer’s Brownstown plant, which already builds the batteries for the Open/Vauxhall Ampera, Volt and the Cadillac ELR.
The new battery uses different lithium-ion cells from LG Chem, instead of the cells currently used by A123 Systems. LC Chem also makes the cells for the ELR and the Volt. Even though the energy capacity drops 1 kilowatt hour, GM stated that the 2015 batteries will have the same range as the 2014 batteries: 82 miles for range and 119 MPGe*. Furthermore, the new battery is 86 pounds lighter than the battery by A123 Systems; and it is more efficient.
General Motors decided to centralize its battery assembly and standardizing as it expects to unveil an updated version of the 2016 model-year Volt range-extended electric car. According to Larry Nitz, GM’s executive director of global transmission and electrification engineering, the change helps the auto manufacturer to “better leverage [our] economies of scale.”
The Spark EV, sold only in California and select other places, is mainly a “compliance car,” yet it received excellent reviews on performance when it was launched. The 2014 model year gets 100 kilowatts or 130 horsepower of peak power at the front wheels, which is more than the Spark minicar and the Volt get.
Stop by Classic Chevrolet today to test drive the Spark, the Volt or any other model on the lot. Ask your salesperson about any of Chevrolet’s hybrids and for more information on the Spark EV.
Chevrolet has finally released the pricing for the 2015 Chevrolet Impala bi-fuel model. This full-size sedan will run on gas or compressed natural gas. The sedan will be built in Oshawa, Ontario and should be available at Classic Chevrolet sometime during the summer of 2014. However, GM will only deliver about 1,000 cars during the first year because of the lack of public compressed natural gas refueling stations. The United States has about 1,000 stations; however, only about half of those are open to the public.
The Impala will have two trim levels: the base LS model and the upscale LT trim level. It is unknown at this time what the pricing is for each level, but it is expected that the bi-fuel Impala will start out at under $40,000.
The sedan features two fuel tanks – one for compressed natural gas and one for gasoline. The driver can switch tanks by pushing a button. The tank for the compressed natural gas is trunk-mounted and holds enough compressed gas for about 150 miles. The total range, combining the compressed gas and regular gasoline, is about 500 miles.
The Impala features a 3.6-liter V-6 engine that features hardened valves and valve seats, which are required for running compressed natural gas. Only one other automobile manufacturer has a vehicle that runs on compressed natural gas: Honda (the Civic).
The Chevrolet Cruze may be converted to run on compressed natural gas by adding an aftermarket kit. Many pickup trucks also have conversion kits available. If you are interested in converting your existing Chevrolet to run on compressed natural gas, contact the service department at Classic Chevy for more information and pricing.
For more information on the 2015 Chevrolet Impala bi-fuel model including convenience features, safety and security features and entertainment or infotainment features, stop by Classic Chevy or keep your eye on this space.
Chevrolet likes to think outside the box when it comes to marketing and this commercial was no exception. The auto manufacturer ran a contest on MOFILM, a video contest site, to find who could make the best ad for Chevrolet models such as those found at Classic Chevy. The ads were narrowed down to 13 finalists.
The auto maker chose a video by Jake Viramontez of Los Angeles; and that video aired over Mother’s Day weekend. The commercial shows how a husband might go “The Extra Mile” to treat his wife on Mother’s Day. The baby cries, so the father takes him for a ride in his Chevrolet Equinox to get him back to sleep. When he gets home, he brings his wife breakfast in bed.
Paul Edwards, the U.S. vice president of Chevrolet Marketing, said the company chose that particular video because it was a great way to honor mothers, including showing appreciation for everything they do.
Viramontez got his inspiration from his sister and 18-month-old niece. He cast his friends in the commercial, which was shot in one 13-hour day.
The Chevrolet Equinox is the vehicle used to drive the baby around. The 2014 Equinox 2LT is the perfect SUV for a family. It features a 2.4-liter engine with spark ignition direct injection and variable valve timing. The engine is backed by a six-speed automatic transmission. This combination makes 182 horsepower and 172 pound-feet of torque.
Standard safety features include hill start assist, brake assist, traction control, electronic stability control, several airbags, daytime running lamps, OnStar, the LATCH system for child safety seats and a tire pressure monitor system.
Installed options on some models include a security system, remote ignition, cruise control, a backup camera, rear window wiper and defroster, power mirrors, a multifunction steering wheel, intermittent wipers, ABS brakes, automatic headlights, fog lights, heated outside mirrors and auto-dimming mirrors. Additional options include forward collision alert, lane departure warning and rear parking assist.
For more information about the 2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT, stop by Classic Chevrolet to test drive this vehicle today. Ask your salesperson for a full list of features and options including additional safety features, entertainment features, convenience features and security features.
If you are in the market for a new vehicle but don’t plan on buying until early next year, consider making Classic Chevy your first stop so you can test drive the new Chevrolet Trax. Chevy already has lots of small cars, but it’s now adding a small crossover SUV. Of course, if you can’t wait, stop by today to get that car-buying bug out of your system!
The Trax isn’t entirely new to the U.S. market – it was sold in Canada and Mexico in 2013, plus it’s sold in over 60 additional markets. The 2015 Chevrolet Trax features a stubby version of the Chevrolet corporate grille, a high hood line and a tall hatchback profile. The arched-back roofline gives the Trax a streamlined look. The interior features a sporty look to the dash and trim.
All models of the Trax will feature Chevrolet’s 1.4-liter turbocharged inline four-cylinder engine. The engine makes 138 horsepower and 148 pound-feet of torque. The peak torque comes in at 1,850 rpm. The engine is backed by a six-speed automatic transmission with gear ratios designed for a quick takeoff and excellent fuel economy on the top end (overdrive).
The front-wheel drive Trax is expected to get about 26 mpg* in the city and 34 mpg* on the highway. All-wheel drive will also be available. The suspension will feature MacPherson struts, a torsion beam rear suspension and twin-tube gas shocks. All models will also feature four-wheel disc brakes.
The 169-inch Trax can seat four people comfortably, and will seat five if the three rear adult passengers are on the smaller side. The rear 60/40 split bench seat folds forward so you have more cargo space if you are not carrying passengers. The Trax also features additional storage in the doors and cubbies throughout the vehicle. With the seat up, the cargo space measures 18.7 cubic feet; and with the seat down, you get 48.4 cubic feet of cargo space.
Standard equipment includes a rearview camera system, electronic stability control, rollover mitigation, brake assist, electronic brake force distribution and 10 standard airbags. Options will include OnStar, MyLink, a 7-inch color touch screen, additional USB ports, SiriusXM satellite radio, Siri Eyes Free and BringGo navigation.
Chevrolet plans on releasing three trim levels: the LS, LT and LTZ. All models will also include keyless entry.
Stop by Classic Chevrolet today to test drive a vehicle if you need something now; or stop by to learn more about the 2015 Chevrolet Trax.
Chevy came away with several impressive Edmunds awards in the Top Rated and Most Popular categories for 2014.
The Edmunds Testing Team evaluates about 200 cars each year. Each vehicle is driven on a standardized road-test loop and visits their test track for instrumented testing in controlled conditions. They use their findings to develop ratings to grade how a car stacks up against its direct rivals in its size and price class. Vehicles that earn an “A” rating receive an Edmunds.com Top Rated Award.
For 2014, the Chevrolet Corvette Stingray and the Chevrolet Traverse were each awarded an “A” rating by Edmunds.
Every month, Edmunds evaluates new vehicle shopping activity, also known as “consideration,” by measuring the monthly unique desktop website visitors (measured by unique cookies) to the research and inventory pages on Edmunds.com for each new model. These pages include: model year detail pages (core pages), reviews, build and price tools and new car inventory. They then derived the Most Popular vehicle list by finding the three models in each vehicle segment with the highest car-shopper consideration in calendar year 2013.
Chevy had seven vehicles that earned an Edmunds “Most Popular” trophy:
- The Chevrolet Colorado was named Edmunds.com’s Most Popular Compact Truck of 2014.
- The Chevrolet Camaro was named Edmunds.com’s Most Popular Entry Sport Car of 2014.
- The Chevrolet Impala was named Edmunds.com’s Most Popular Large Car of 2014.
- The Chevrolet Traverse was named Edmunds.com’s Most Popular Large Crossover SUV of 2014.
- The Chevrolet Silverado 1500 was named Edmunds.com’s Most Popular Large Truck of 2014.
- The Chevrolet Corvette Stingray was named Edmunds.com’s Most Popular Midrange Sports Car of 2014.
- The Chevrolet Tahoe was named Edmunds.com’s Most Popular Large Traditional SUV of 2014.
Chevrolet was also named in several of Edmunds’s “Top N” lists for 2014. The Silverado made several lists as did the Cruze and others. Edmunds researches all vehicles to determine what consumers like and dislike about each vehicle. Stop by Classic Chevy today to test drive one of these or any of the other Chevrolet models on the lot.
- The Chevrolet Silverado 1500 made Edmunds’ Top 10 Least Expensive Trucks list. It came in at Number 5 on the list, right in the middle. The list is based on the base model’s MSRP.
- The Chevrolet Silverado 1500 also made Edmunds’ Top 9 Most Fuel-Efficient Trucks list. It tied with the GMC Sierra 1500 in the Number 3 spot. The both vehicles get 18 mpg* in the city, 24 mpg* on the highway and 20 mpg* combined. Edmunds gets its fuel economy information from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- The Chevrolet Cruze Diesel made Edmund’s Top 11 Sedans with the Best Highway Fuel Economy for 2014. The Cruze came in at Number 3 on the list, tying with the Honda Accord Plug-in Hybrid and the Accord Hybrid. Edmunds uses the EPA rating for highway mileage to compose this list.
- The Chevrolet Equinox tied for fourth place on Edmunds’ Top 11 Crossovers and SUVs with the Best Highway Fuel Economy for 2014 list. The numbers are gleaned from the EPA. The Equinox tied with the GMC Terrain and two other vehicles. All four get 32 mpg* on the highway.
If you are in the market for a new truck, the Chevrolet Silverado is the best way to go. Classic Chevrolet sells more Silverado trucks than any other truck – and listed above are two of the reasons. When you pick a Silverado, not only do you get a great deal on the MSRP, but you also get an “easy keeper.” The truck in inexpensive to maintain and it won’t break your pockets with a fuel bill!
Stop by one of our dealerships to test drive the Silverado and find out for yourself why this is one of the more popular full-size trucks in America.
Cinco de Mayo is almost upon us and that means parties and lots of fun. You have the rest of the week to make sure your vehicle is just as ready as you are, so be sure to stop by Classic Chevy for maintenance or repairs before you head out for the weekend.
Even though Cinco de Mayo is, as the name would suggest, on May 5, the festivities start as early as May 3. The 2014 Cinco de Mayo Multicultural Festival and Educational/Health Fair in Irving starts on Saturday, May 3, at 10:00 a.m. The festival will be held at the Senter Park Recreation Center until 4:00 p.m. Head out to enjoy multicultural entertainment and food from different countries, and fun and games for the entire family, including the Little Miss Cinco de Mayo 2014 Pageant.
Also worth mentioning is the Cinco de Mayo Big Parade 2014, which is taking place in Dallas on Saturday, May 3. This annual event is in its 24th year and is the largest Cinco de Mayo parade in North Texas, with 20,000 attendees expected this year.
After whichever fiesta you attend, if you’re still hungry after sampling the vendor food, or you just want to enjoy more party atmosphere, stop by any of the restaurants holding their own celebrations, such as Urban Taco in Dallas, which will be holding a fiesta on Sunday, May 4, on the patio. They’ll also have drink specials including five for $5 on frozen lime, hibiscus, and urban rocks margaritas. Drinks also include tequila slammers and plenty of beer. The venue will feature a mariachi band and a DJ during the festival.
El Ranchito in Dallas will also have a celebration. Though this place seems to celebrate every night, the festivities for Cinco de Mayo will be kicked up a notch. Enjoy $5 enchiladas and $5 margaritas.
Jump in a new Impala to make this year’s Cinco de Mayo more memorable than ever!
Reservoir Bar, Patio and Kitchen in Fort Worth will also be having its own festivities. Join the venue on its patio for the annual Cinco de Patio Weekend. The venue will feature DJs D-Roz and Traax, plus Mark McEuen will be playing. Enjoy $7 Patron shots and frozen Hornitos or $5 Hornitos tequila shots and Pacific schooners. You’ll also have plenty to eat, including Cinco de Mayo-inspired tacos and appetizers.
Of course, if you have a favorite Mexican restaurant that’s not one of the above, chances are it will have some sort of special going on.
The last thing you want to do is to ruin a night because your vehicle decides to act up on the way to a festival or on the way home. Make sure everything is working properly so you have less chance of having a problem by visiting Classic Chevrolet’s service department before you go. And, if you think your vehicle is beyond help, stop by to lease or buy a new car for the events!
Have fun celebrating Cinco de Mayo and remember to drive safe!
Sometimes, you just have to get out and enjoy life; and when you have a brand new vehicle from Classic Chevy, that is the perfect excuse to drive it. In the Spring, you can find plenty of excuses to enjoy that new car smell – some things the kids will enjoy, and some things, such as date night, you just have to do without the kids.
- Load the kids up and head out to Six Flags Over Texas for a day or two. Everyone will enjoy over 50 rides, live bands and other entertainment within the park. The park is located at 2201 Road to Six Flags St E, Arlington, TX 76011.
- Head over to the West End Historic District and the Dallas World Aquarium for a relaxing and educational day with the kids. Exhibits include the Orinoco Crocodile Cove, South Africa, the Aquarium and Mundo Maya. The aquarium is located at 1801 N Griffin St, Dallas, TX 75202.
- Find a babysitter and grab some tickets to an upcoming concert at Billy Bob’s Texas. Make sure you hire the sitter overnight since this date night might go on into the wee hours of the morning. Billy Bob’s Texas is located at 2520 Rodeo Plaza, Fort Worth, TX 76164.
- Pack the hiking boots, fishing poles and a picnic for a relaxing day at White Rock Lake. With over 9 miles of trails and over 1,000 acres of lake, you’re sure to stay occupied for a day or a weekend. White Rock Lake is located at 8300 East Lawther Drive, Dallas, TX 75218.
- Another great historical site to visit is the National Cowgirl Museum and Hall of Fame. Learn about distinguished southwestern women of pioneer times and more. The museum and hall of fame is located at 1720 Gendy St, Fort Worth, TX 76107.
If you have a Chevy truck, coupe, sedan or SUV, make an appointment for Spring service; and if you want another vehicle or it’s time to trade for something newer, stop by Classic Chevrolet to test drive your next new vehicle. Be sure to check our web site for service, purchase or leasing specials often, as the specials change often.
Image by kristy via Flickr Creative Commons