Staying cool during a Texas summer is something we joke about in the Lone Star State. It seems impossible to keep the sweat beads from forming the moment you step out your front door and into the summer sun and stifling humidity. The following are 15 tips to help you stay cool this summer.
1. Use a sun umbrella to keep you shaded anywhere at anytime. Traditional rain umbrellas work just fine too.
2. Stop the ice cream truck, grab a tasty popsicle or ice cream cone and remember how much fun summer was when you were a kid.
3. Wrap a wet paper towel around your beverages before sticking them in the freezer. They’ll be ice cold in a fraction of the time.
4. Reach for ice cubes whenever you can. Whether you’re at home or digging in a friend’s cooler at a soccer game, ice cubes can offer a brief escape from the heat.
5. Enjoy iced coffee instead of hot coffee. Pour a pot of coffee into your ice trays, then use those cubes for your iced coffee, so it doesn’t become diluted.
6. Carry a paper fan. It may seem a bit primitive, but a good-old-fashioned paper fan can keep you cooler than if you travel without one.
7. Use a wet towel to cool yourself and your pets down. Place that towel in the freezer or refrigerator first for a whole new level of cool.
8. Bust out the fans. Even those with fully-functional air conditioning units can use fans in stuffier areas of the home. Place one by your bed for extra comfort at night.
9. Wear loose-fitting clothing. Tight clothing can make you unbearably hot on summer days. Opt for loose-fitting clothing that wicks the moisture and heat away instead.
10. Place ice packs or cold compresses on your wrists, elbows, ankles, neck and other areas for immediate relief when you’re feeling uncomfortably hot.
11. Give yourself some space. Unbearably hot summer days are not ideal for cuddling. Sleeping or laying alone keeps your partner’s body heat at bay.
12. Find your local watering holes. The heat of summer is one of the best times to start locating your town’s nearest swimming holes. Rivers, lakes and pools are some of the best (and most fun) solutions to sweaty Texas days.
13. Stay low in your house. Hot air rises, so you may notice your upstairs bedrooms becoming outrageously hot in summer. Opt for a summer of sleeping in the basement or living room instead.
14. Step back from the grill. Steer clear of turning on the stove, oven or grill. Hot summer days are ideal for enjoying cool sandwiches and salads instead.
15. Spend some time in your new Chevy. If you’re tired of dealing with the sub-par air conditioning in your everyday driver, stop in and see us at Classic Chevrolet to feel the cool breeze of air conditioning in your brand-new Chevy.
Visit upcoming events after you get your vehicle serviced or after you purchase a new vehicle from Classic Chevy. If you purchase a new vehicle, celebrate your purchase by spending time with the family at events in DFW or by taking a road trip.
The Marvel Experience
If you are a Marvel fan, visit Marvel Universe LIVE!. Check out this mind-blowing show from January 30, 2015 through February 1, 2015 at the American Airlines Center, 2500 Victory Avenue, Dallas, Texas, 75219.
If that is not enough, The Marvel Experience, the World’s First Hyper-Reality Tour, will be at Fair Park Coliseum in the parking lot at Fair Park Dallas, 1300 Robert B. Cullum Blvd., Dallas, Texas, 75210 starting at 10:00 a.m. from January 15, 2015 through February 1, 2015. This is the world’s only 3-D stereo super theater and 4-D motion ride. Take a swing with Spider Man, smash through wall with the Hulk and fly through the 7 Colossal Domes with Iron Man. Admission is $39.82.
DFW Winter Boat Expo
Beth Richard/Flickr Creative Commons
If you’re looking for a boat for the upcoming boating season, visit the DFW Winter Boat Expo from January 30, 2015 through February 8, 2015. The boat expo will be held at the Dallas Market Hall, 2200 Stemmons Frwy, Dallas, Texas, 75207. Admission ranges from $6 to $12.
Look at over 650 new 2015 model year boats and watercraft. And if you find one you like, be ready to purchase it from one of the 20 North Texas boat dealers that will be there. Additionally, over 150 vendors will be at the expo.
Hours are from 3:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m. Friday, Jan. 30; from 10:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. on Jan. 31 and Feb. 7; from 10:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. on Feb. 1; from 1:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. on Feb. 2, Feb. 3, Feb. 4, Feb. 5; from 1:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m. on Feb. 6; and from 10:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. on Feb. 8. Boats include Bennington Yamaha, Four Winns, Glastron, Triton, Berkshire Pontoons, Starcraft, Cruisers Yachts, Nautic Star, Polar Craft, Sportsman, Sun Chaser, Avalon, Clearwater, Sea Ray and more. For more information call (972) 955-9747.
Visit Classic Chevrolet
If you are in the market for a new Chevy, particularly one that will tow a new boat, stop by Classic Chevrolet to test drive a Silverado or four.
With summer around the corner, freedom awaits you. Let us help you find your next dream car at Classic Chevrolet! We have several new and exciting vehicles to choose from. Whether for pleasure or business, we have what you are looking for. All new this year is the 2013 Chevrolet Cruze LS sedan. It gets an amazing 36 MPG highway and comes loaded with dozens of standard features. On the list is an enhanced acoustics package, Sirius XM Satellite Radio, and Bluetooth for personal cell phone connectivity. The base model starts at $17,600 and can be upgraded with a range of options.
The iconic symbol of the Camaro is back in 2013 with a new feature for the manual models. Hill Start assist which can help your Camaro from rolling backwards when you’re taking off. It also gets the new MyLink touchscreen audio system on LT, SS and ZL1 models. If you have ever dreamed of owning a Camaro, now is the time. This fantastic car starts from only $23,600.
Also new this year is the 2013 Chevrolet Volt. This vehicle combines gas and electric to offer you the most mileage for your money. When it runs off electricity, the Volt gets an estimated 101 MPG in the city. It also integrates the MyLink system with Bluetooth capabilities and an ultra-sleek interior. This car will for sure turn heads. Don’t miss out on this spectacular car. Prices start at only $39,000.
One of the last cars we would like to mention is the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. While the Malibu doesn’t have the MyLink system, it does have the standard SiriusXM Satellite Radio and OnStar Turn-by-Turn Navigation built right in. This is another really nice car that you need to check out when you visit Classic Chevrolet. It starts at $22,100.
And of course, the 2014 Chevrolet Silverado is also here! Stay tuned for more blogs regarding this state of the art vehicle!
We look forward to seeing you!
We all strive to look and feel the best. What we drive can usually tell others a lot about who we are as people. So keeping our vehicles clean inside and out is important, especially for those first impressions. A majority of the public will only see our cars from the outside. So make sure the paint stays presentable! Here are some tips and tricks from your DFW Chevy dealer.
Wash your car every two weeks. If you live near the ocean or somewhere there is a lot of pollution or roadwork, you might want to wash it more often. Chemicals from the air can wear at your paint job and dull it faster. When deciding how to wash your car, always use a touchless carwash. This will prevent any unnecessary dings or scratches that machines are undoubtedly known to cause. If you do wash your car yourself, make sure you rinse your car thoroughly before touching any part of it. Wash with a soft and clean washing mitt. Dirty mitts can scratch the finish of your Chevy. Never let your car sun dry or during mid-day. This can leave spots on the car. Instead, use micro fiber drying cloths and a squeegee. Micro fiber cloths absorb the most water and leave no streaks, reducing the fine scratches that other drying cloths can leave.
It is recommended to wax your car at least three times a year. Using a carnauba-based wet wax is best for a fresh, wet shine to your car. It has an easy on and off application and also protects from UV rays. Wax but never polish. If you do decide to polish your car, use the least abrasive polish you can find. Also, for those unfortunate and inevitable times when we get chips or dings, use a paper clip to touch up the paint job instead of a paint brush. Simply dip the end into your paint and apply right to the scratched surface. Only touch up scratches that are longer than 1/16th inch. Smaller scratches will not look as good after being touched up.
Remember to never wash your car in the sun. The car should be cool to the touch. Use these few words of advice and keep your car’s paint job looking new. Go and show the world how amazing you look in your Chevy!
Most dealerships advertise low sales prices to lure you in and then slap you with marked up window stickers. They will tell you the extra price is due to dealer fees or taxes. This is not the case at Classic Chevrolet. The sales prices we advertise is the real deal when you walk onto our twenty-two acre lot. Right now we are having a Memorial Day Red Tag Sale. The price we post is the price you pay! There are several new and used vehicles to choose from including the all-new 2014 Silverado and 2014 Impala.
The Chevrolet Impala has been redesigned to attract more personal use buyers rather than for fleet vehicles. It has a more modern look and a more upscale interior. Just a few of the highlighting features in the new Impala are heated and cooling seats, heated steering wheel and what they have name an infotainment center. This is far from what the Impala used to be.
The new Chevrolet Silverado is remarkably smooth and quiet which are not qualities easily found in full sized trucks. It is also more light weight which is great news for towing or hauling. Here at Classic Chevrolet, we are excited to be selling these two new vehicles for your work needs or personal enjoyment. But don’t forget about all of our other great deals on new and used cars during our Memorial Day Red Tag event. Prices are reduced $800 to $5,000 off of MSRP! So come check us out. You will not regret you did!
One of the things that make your DFW Chevy dealer happy is to see how customers get so much enjoyment out of their Chevy on road trips to fun and exciting places. If you haven’t been to San Antonio lately, now is the time to take a trip. Here are some suggestions for places you can visit in San Antonio.
SeaWorld San Antonio
As the weather heats up, you’ll want to pack up the whole family and head out to SeaWorld San Antonio. This enormous attraction spans 250 acres, making it the biggest marine-oriented theme park in the world. It has plenty of dolphins, whales, sea lions and sharks for you to check out. You won’t want to miss the Steel Eel roller coaster which will hurtle you along the track at speeds approaching 65 miles per hour, or about the same speed you drove to get to the park.
The Great White is an inverted steel roller coaster and the first of its kind in Texas. To help you keep cool, there is a water park with water slides and swimming pools, or you can just hang around the killer whale tank until you get thoroughly soaked by the splashes these enormous creatures make as they leap from the water.
Remember the Alamo
If the last time you visited the Alamo was when you were a kid during a school field trip, what better time to revisit this important aspect of historical Texas. The 4.2-acre complex holds such significance to not only Texans but also people from all over the world, it sees more than 2.5 million visitors every year. Admission is free.
You’ll learn about the efforts made by Texans as they fought against the army of General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, with such luminaries as Davy Crockett, James Bowie and William Travis becoming famous for their noble sacrifice. The Alamo is now managed by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, and you will have an opportunity to tour the site, visit the museum and take a stroll in the Alamo Gardens.
San Antonio Botanical Garden
Founded in 1980 and run by the City of San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department, the San Antonio Botanical Gardens is a beautiful complex spread out over 33 acres. Visitors enjoy the formal and display gardens, which include the Rose Garden, which is a sweetly perfumed location you won’t want to miss, and the Kumamoto En Garden, which is a gift from San Antonio’s Sister City of Kumamoto in Japan. The Sensory Garden, also known as the Garden for the Blind, will stimulate your sense of smell and touch.
The Lucille Halsell Conservatory contains a wide variety of plants from desert and rainforest environments, as well as insect-eating plants and plants that live in water. Be sure to take in the sights of the forest of palm trees in the Palm and Cycad Pavilion, a 65-foot high environment.
When the new year’s car models are released on to the market, it is an exciting time for car lovers everywhere. If you have recently visited your DFW Chevy dealer, you may have already been introduced to the new 2014 Impala, but if not, learning more about this sleek car can help you decide if it is the perfect option for you and your family.
Style and Performance
When you check out the 2014 Impala, you will see this vehicle is the optimal in both style and performance. The smooth lines of the vehicle’s shape offers a stunning style, as well as optimal aerodynamics to reduce the amount of resistance the car experiences. Available in the 31 MPG 4-cylinder model or the 29 MPG V6 engine, you will be able to purchase the perfect one for your needs and desires. With its excellent handling, you will be able to drive with a feeling of elegance you have never experienced before.
As soon as you sit in the Impala at Classic Chevrolet, you will feel as though you have stepped into the future. This vehicle is filled with new technology that completely changes the driving experience for drivers. An eight-inch touch screen provides you with easy access and quick operation of the radio, as well as other features, including voice recognition. Keyless access and start, USB ports for charging phones and a rear vision camera make great features to add to this car.
The Utmost in Safety
Along with all the technological advances available, you will experience the utmost in safety for yourself and your family. The car boasts 10 airbags that protect you and your family in the event of a crash. In addition to the airbags, this car is filled with sensors that will help you become an even safer driver. Sensors on the front end alert you to the potential of a collision if you are too close to the car in front of you; cross sensors in the back alert you of cross traffic behind you when the car is in reverse; and blind spot sensors light up an LED indicator in your side mirrors to alert you of drivers in your blind spot. This car can even let you know if you are drifting out of your lane without the use of a turn signal!
If you want a car that is the perfect combination of sleek beauty, safety and technological advances, the 2014 Chevy Impala can be a great option. This car is packed with features and comes in a variety of amazing colors to allow you to find the perfect one to best meet your needs. Visit us today to take a test drive and see what this new model has to offer your driving experience.
As a leading Chevy dealer, we’re committed to keeping all of our clients happy, from sales to service and beyond. This month, we’re taking the pain out of your collision repair with a quartet of specials designed just for our collision repair clients:
· The deal: When you have $500 or more of collision repairs performed in our state-of-the-art body shop, we’ll give you $100 of paintless dent repair for your door dings for free. Everybody’s been the victim of parking lot perils: careless drivers who throw their doors open without looking first and runaway shopping carts that are drawn to your car like a magnet. This monthly body shop special will take away those little door dings that are making your car look older and more beat up than it really is. Think of it as a Botox treatment for your car.
· The deal: Another bonus for customers with $500 or more in collision repairs – we’ll give you a free interior detail to make the inside of your car look as good as the outside. Fast food residue, sneaker scuff marks, rubbed-in mud, dead bug bodies and a whole lot of dust and dirt. The inside of every car is subject to a lot of occupant abuse, and over time, it can take its toll on the way your interior looks and feels. While your car is in for body shop repair, let us treat you to a free interior detail to get rid of all that grime.
· The deal: They say beauty is only skin deep, so when you have $500 or more in collision repairs this month, let us treat what’s under the hood, too, with this free lube, oil and filter special. Especially with the hot summer season rapidly closing in, having your fluids changed is critical to keeping your car running well. With this lube, oil and filter freebie special, your car will get a lube treatment, a brand new oil filter and up to six quarts of oil, and we’ll even check the fluids and top them off.
· The deal: Get a free $75 upgrade on your Enterprise rental when your car gets $500 or more in collision repairs at our body shop. You take pride in what you drive, so why not take pride in your rental? With a free upgrade of up to $75, you can drive in style even while your car is in the shop. Just present the coupon to the service advisor and we’ll do the rest.
We value every one of our customers and offering the highest level of service is just one way we let you relax and enjoy the difference. Visit our site often to keep an eye on our monthly specials and find out what else is happening at your DFW Chevy Dealer and in the community.
When it comes to Chevy, it’s hard to not love your vehicle. Finally, that urge to show it has paid off. Introducing the Love Your Chevy Photo Contest from your favorite DFW Chevy dealer!
How To Enter
Share the devotion to your Chevy by taking a picture that exhibits your feelings and submitting it to us. Feel free to get creative! This is an opportunity to show how your vehicle inspires you!
Of course, rewards can be motivating. We’re not just giving away one thing; there are 3 prizes you can win! For third place, the winner will receive a $50 gas card that always comes in handy. Second place gets a Car Care Kit with a value of $149.95. What all comes in a kit? A little something for everything including, wax, detail wax, wash, leather, tire, interior, towels, and even applicator pads. Then first place will get a Deluxe Detail, $169.95 value, as well as an $80 gift card! Oh, did you think the prizes were over? The last, and perhaps the best, is the opportunity to be featured in Classic Chevrolet’s Valentine’s video!
Do you have some serious love for your Chevy? Make sure to show it well ahead of Valentine’s Day, contest ends January 31st at 8pm CST.
The 2014 Chevrolet Corvette was officially unveiled at the North American International Auto Show in Motor City Detroit, MI. Judging by how feature-packed the new Chevy hot rod is, you’re certainly going to want to have it on your wish list when it drops.
Known as the C7 (for seventh generation), the 2014 Corvette is a notable vehicle in a day and age where environmental concerns and fuel efficiency are somewhat giving a black eye to the development of sports cars (more on this later). It’s also a notable effort on Chevy’s part, being that it’s the first Corvette model released in a post-GM bankruptcy era and has design roots dating back to the automaker’s pre-bankruptcy days of 2006.
Here’s what you should know about the C7:
- It’s “green”: We put green in parenthesis because it’s still a gas-guzzling sports car, powered by a V8 engine, to some extent. Even so, certain features make it more eco-friendly. For starters, it’s made with a lot of space-age metal, helping to reduce its curb weight to around 3,000 pounds – and thereby save on fuel mileage – compared to previous models. It also includes an active fuel management feature that essentially takes the V8 engine down to the power of a V4 engine, thereby saving even more fuel. Materials with a high weight-to-strength ratio? A greener engine? Yeah, the C7 was engineered with the environment in mind.
- Same basic design: While much of the C7’s design is an update from its C6 predecessor, its roots still trace back to the very first model in the 60-year history of the Corvette vehicle. That’s honoring the past while designing and engineering for the future.
- Price point: While the C7 will be expensive (it is a sports car after all), its MSRP isn’t going to exactly break the bank. Although the vehicle won’t go into production until the summer of 2013, so we don’t really know what the price will be until it hits the lot, it’s not expected to cost more than $55,000.
As we mentioned in the opening, the C7 is currently on display at the Auto Show in Detroit – but the vehicle will be coming to your DFW Chevy Dealer soon. A 2014 Corvette C7, how does that car sound for a nice New Year’s 2014 gift?